Dr. Hsi-Hsien WEI
Co-Advisor; Chief Researcher in Earthquake Engineering
BSc, MSc (Columbia Univ.), PhD (Univ. of Maryland)
Assistant Professor, BRE, FCE, The HK Polytechnic University
Dissertation Coordinator for BSc(Hons) BEM; Deputy Award Coordinator for Msc/PgD in SUD
Dr Wei Hsi-hsien obtained his master’s degrees in Structural Engineering from National Taiwan University and in Construction Engineering and Management from Columbia University, USA, in 2002 and 2010 respectively. He received his PhD in Project Management at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of the University of Maryland, College Park, USA.
Dr Wei was a Senior Research Fellow in the Department of Structural Engineering at the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Israel from 2013 to 2015, where he was working in the assessment of the resilience and sustainability of urban systems to extreme events on behalf of Israel’s Ministry of Science, Technology and Space.
The research activities of Dr Wei cover a broad range of topics including resilience and sustainability management of the built environment, disaster risk management and climate change adaptation, construction technology and project management, information technology applications in construction and structural engineering.
Dr Wei also possesses solid experience in consulting and professional practice in the design and management of major construction projects. He holds the credential of Accredited Professional under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED AP) of the U.S. Green Building Council, specialising in Building Design and Construction. He has also participated in several sustainable construction projects in the USA.
- Resilience and sustainability of the built environment
- Urban disaster risk assessment and management / Climate change adaptation
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence in construction and maintenance of buildings and infrastructures
- Construction technology and project management
- Structural engineering / Earthquake engineering
- Project finance
- Wei, H.H., Liu, M., Skibniewski, M., and Balali V. (2016), “Prioritizing sustainable transport projects through multi-criteria group decision-making: A case study of Tianjin Binhai New Area, China,” ASCE Journal of Management in Engineering, 10.1061/(ASCE)ME.1943-5479.0000449, 04016010.
- Wei, H.H., Liu, M., Skibniewski, M., and Balali V. (2016), “Conflict and consensus in stakeholder attitudes toward sustainable transport projects in China: An empirical investigation,” Habitat International, 53: 473-484.
- Wei, H.H., Skibniewski, M., Shohet, I., Yao, X.J. (2015), “Life Cycle Environmental Performance of Natural Hazard Mitigation for Buildings,” ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000803.
- Wei, H.H., Shohet, I., Skibniewski, M., Shapira, S., Yao, X.J. (2015), “Assessing the Life-cycle Sustainability Costs and Benefits of Natural Risk Mitigation Designs for Buildings,” ASCE Journal of Architectural Engineering, 10.1061/(ASCE)AE.1943-5568.0000188.
- Yao, X.J., Wei, H.H., Shohet, I., Skibniewski, M. (2015), “Public-Private Partnership for Earthquake Mitigation Involving Retrofit and Insurance,” Technological and Economic Development of Economy, 10.3846/20294913.2015.1075443.
- Chen, J., Taylor, J. and Wei, H.H. (2012), “Modeling Building Occupant Network Energy Consumption Decision-making: The Interplay between Network Structure and Conservation,” Energy and Buildings, 47: 515-524.